How to claim for mortgage expenses in spain
Applying for a mortgage loan entails expenses that banks have always incurred towards their clients. These are expenses generated by the inscription of the property in the Property Registry, the notary’s office and the Tax on Documented Legal Acts, the total amount of which depends on the amount of the mortgage itself. Now, after several court rulings, the mortgage costs can be claimed from the bank, following a few simple steps.
What exactly can be claimed?
The expenses that can be claimed are:
- 100% of the Documented Legal Acts Tax.
- 50% of the notary’s fees, except for the amount of the copies of the notarial documents, which must be paid by the person requesting them.
- 100% of the amount of the invoice from the mortgage registry in the Land Registry.
- 100% of agency expenses.
Claim the mortgage costs step by step
The steps to follow to claim the refund of mortgage expenses are the following:
- Present a formal claim to the bank with which the mortgage loan has been formalized, or to the ship that has absorbed or arose from the merger in which that bank has participated, in case it has gone through any of these processes. This claim can be made regardless of how long has elapsed since the loan was made.
- Present the documentation that the bank requests, which is normally the deed of the mortgage loan, the document of the Documented Legal Acts Tax and the invoices of the other expenses, as a minimum.
- Wait for a reply from the bank, which must be given within a maximum period of two months.
- If the bank rejects the agreement, the lawsuit must be filed in court, which may mean a delay of several months in the deadlines.
- If the bank accepts the agreement, there is a period of two months for the money to be deposited in your bank account.